Friday, April 29, 2011

Floral Lovlies


I'm not sure what these are, but they're gorgeous!
Dainty Yellows

"Watcha doin mama?"

New project...more to come!

Happy Friday!

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Spring at the Shore

My posts have been very sporadic lately (wouldn't Cher from Clueless be proud?). But it's for good reason! My mom and I took a lovely trip to Carolina Beach last week. As always, we hit up our favorite dive bar, Shuckin' Shack for some beer and peel-and-eat shrimp. We visited downtown Wilmington and ate delicious seafood at Dock Street Oyster Bar and sampled tasty mini cupcakes at Hot Pink Cupcake Stand. And of course, spent plenty of time on the beautiful beach! We've been visiting this beach for many years and it's always a blast.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sweet Tooth

I suppose I've had a sweet tooth lately; these lovely treats caught my eye...

Photo via Bakers Royale
How adorable are these Banana Split Bites?

Photo via Sugar Derby
Ice Cream Cake Cookie! To quote the chef who created them:
"...from bottom layer to top layer: pie crust, chocolate chip cookie dough, cake icing, vanilla ice cream, rainbow chip cake, more cake icing and sprinkles. Big, fat, rainbow sprinkles!
Quite possibly the Turducken of Sweets."

 Photo via The Dainty Squid
I have a real thing for rainbow cakes and cupcakes lately. I'm going to have to give it a try!

That mass of lovely sprinkled goodness on the right is the Colossal Cupcake from Crumbs Bake Shoppe. Oh how I wish I lived close to one!

 Photo via Babble, The Family Kitchen
I saved the best for dream cake! A rainbow cake baked in a JAR! Oh yes, this is a must try!

Monday, April 18, 2011

Bindle Gift

For some reason, I've always thought the concept of a bindle stick (AKA hobo stick) is cool. They're often seen being toted by cartoon characters or in vintage photos. Since I've never seen one in real life, I decided to wrap my husband's birthday presents in a bindle stick.

 First I got the materials together: red and white fabric (although the standard is polka dot, I really liked this pattern), presents, and a sturdy stick. Seriously, how perfect is that stick? Then I simply bundled the gifts in the fabric and knotted it around the stick. 

This is a horrible pic...I had to remove the background b/c it was just TOO busy. Anyways, it's really a bindle stick! Yay! Jer got a kick out of it.

Murphy had a blast helping open presents!


Thursday, April 14, 2011

Puppy Love

I had to share this sweet pic Jer got of Murph and I last weekend while we were outside monitoring the weather. Murphy doesn't usually let me hold him for very long, but for some reason he decided to get cozy on my lap and rock. I really enjoyed our little moment.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cookin' Up a Storm

(Flashback one week) The forecast called for a beautiful week and weekend; hot and sunny on Saturday. A young newlywed couple decided to invite a couple friends over for some brewski and cornhole. As the week wore on, anticipation of the beautiful and relaxing Saturday to come kept them motivated. On Friday, a morning review of the iPhone app brought much sadness. The forecast had suddenly changed to a 40% chance of thunderstorms! Not to be challenged by Mother Nature, the young couple focused on the 60% chance of NO RAIN!

Saturday morning was promising, partly cloudy with sunshine peeking through. The wife worked hard in the kitchen, baking M&M cookies and making her mom's famous 7-layer dip. The husband cleaned the grill until it sparkled and set up fixins' for the burgers. As the wind began to whip a bit harder, more clouds covered the sky. The young couple was worried. Guests arrived and managed to hang about an hour until the horrible storm arrived, completely ending the party. The short fiesta was really fun, but too short...better luck next time!

Friday, April 8, 2011

Bird Watchin'

I'm guessing you've noticed the changes around here this week! I finally updated and redesigned the blog. My hope is to have more topics and to showcase my creative projects more often. I started this blog as a way to reawaken my creative and artistic side that was somewhat lost in the world of college coursework. Now that I've begun to actually DO creative things, I want to post them to keep myself encouraged.

These are some sketches I did of birds I liked in my Peterson Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern and Central North America. Next time, I need to add color...that Indigo Bunting is gorgeous in real life. To further encourage myself to draw and sketch more, I ordered Jill Bliss's new Drawing Nature Journal. I love her artistic style! How do you motivate yourself to stay creative?

Happy Friday Everyone!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Monday, April 4, 2011

Lovely Weekend

This is Mandy on the left, she stayed with us for a few days while her dad was out of town. She is a 5 month old pit bull and has some MAJOR puppy energy! She and Murphy wore each other out!

 Murphy's favorite activity: BONE TIME!

Murphy's second favorite activity: TUG OF WAR!

Oh yeah, and eating adorable is that muddy nose?

I finally planted some spring flowers!

On another note, I am going to attempt to update my blog with a new design this week. I'm also going to change the URL. Hopefully this will be a smooth transition!


Friday, April 1, 2011

Tragedy on Aquarium Lane

In 2003, I bought a 30-gallon aquarium, and four tiny goldfish. They were 40 cents apiece, and were intended to be feeder fish. This is the only pic I can find of them at the moment, although I'm sure I took others. The goldfish ended up living over 4 years..even surviving a 5 hour drive during our move. In the car, I packaged them like organs being transported: battery powered air pump, regular stops to check vitals, goldfish in a brand new 5-gallon bucket, and a fancy pyrex dish for the betta I had at the time. Sadly, they passed away several months later. I was heartbroken and let the aquarium sit dry and fishless...until last week (almost 2 years later).

Angelfish 1 (2011 -  )
I worked hard to get my aquarium started again. It was sparkling clean, the bubble wall flowed full force, the neon plants swayed so gently in the water you'd swear they were real, and the buddha head / fish cave was positioned ever so carefully. I did my research on "easy" fish to raise who also had longevity. Determined to succeed, I walked into Petco with a sample of water. The "fish guy" tested it and determined my tank to be READY FOR FISH! After several minutes of interrogation, and recommendations from the employee, I walked out with two Gourami and two Angelfish (all from the same tank). Both types of fish are said to do better in pairs.

Gourami 1 (2011 -  )
About an hour later, the new fish were finally in the tank! It was a wonderful feeling to have my tank back. Then...tragedy struck.

 Angelfish 2 (2011 - 2011)
Three days after their release, on my birthday nonetheless, the angelfish you see above perished. With a heavy heart, I returned to the store the following day with the fish in tow (yes gross, but they need to see proof). I received a new angelfish and headed back home. Things seemed lovely...until two days later when I found the newest fish dead as well. I returned YET AGAIN to Petco and received YET ANOTHER angelfish, only to find it dead the next morning. I officially give up. The other three fish seem perfectly fine. My theories are: (a) Since the fish were all from the same tank, perhaps I am bringing home old enemies and they are being murdered; (b) Angelfish taste good to other fish; or (c) Petco has unhealthy and weak fish. Perhaps it is a mix of all three. All I know is that I am holding out hope for my three current fish and hope to forget this tragedy ever occurred.